in the solitude of a marriage

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Well, "solitude" is used to mean being alone while a marriage is the union of two people. So it sounds a bit odd to me to use the word here.

The question of thread is whether " in the solitude of a marriage " can be simply written as "in a marriage alone" with the same meaning.

Few things are as fundamental to human progress as our ability to arrive at a shared understanding of the world. The advancement of science depends on this, as does the accumulation of cultural knowledge in general. Every collaboration, whether in the solitude of a marriage or in a formal alliance between nations, requires that the beliefs of those involved remain open to mutual influence through conversation.

Source: Article | OPEN | Published: 23 December 2016
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep39589#abstract

• I think it means the marital unit is somewhat cut off from the society. (Spouses keep things between themselves.)

"in a marriage alone" does not quite capture it. Here's a proposal.

The advancement of science depends on this, as does the accumulation of cultural knowledge in general. Every collaboration, whether between two people alone in a marriage or in a formal alliance between nations, requires that the beliefs of those involved remain open to mutual influence through conversation.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Every collaboration, whether in the solitude of a marriage or in a formal alliance between nations
    The question of thread is whether " in the solitude of a marriage " can be simply written as "in a marriage alone" with the same meaning.
    You could write "in the privacy of a marriage". Or you could simply write "in a marriage".

The word "alone" means "only", which is the opposite of what the sentence says. The sentences says that collaborations happen in many places, not only in a marriage.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Well, "solitude" is used to mean being alone while a marriage is the union of two people. So it sounds a bit odd to me to use the word here.
    In English it is common to say "I was alone with her", which means "only 2 of us were present". It can also be used with a few people. "Now that we're alone" is a common start to a private meeting of 2-8 people.

It is not common to use "solitude" this way, but since "solitude" means "being alone", I understand the expression with a married couple.

< Previous | Next >