In this case <we> are buffering this pair of molecules against destruction,

< Previous | Next >

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
Who are we here? It sounds that we are God or Mother Nature.

Thanks in advance

Individually, each of these molecules was easily destroyed by ultraviolet radiation. But put together, they were extremely stable.

In this case we are buffering this pair of molecules against destruction, and they would have been around much longer than other things,” Root-Bernstein said. “Very specific pairs are going to survive and others aren’t.”

-Live Science

Source

• Uncle Jack

British English
    Root-Bernstein, probably with some others (though 'we' can mean 'I' in some situations). Or it could be a team with which Root Bernstein is associated, but he himself isn't directly involved in this experiment.

They might not be doing the buffering directly, but they cause it to happen (or possibly just observe it happening).

Last edited:

Uncle Jack

British English
    It seems so in this context. Providing them with buffers: energy-absorbing cushions in normal English, though how exactly this applies to molecules I could not say, and I doubt the term is to be taken too literally.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The main point of the article is that the combined molecules (chemically combined into one new molecule) are protected from the harm caused by the radiation.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >