in this moment or at this moment?

• DernierVirage

English - United Kingdom
    I would normally say "at this moment in time", which is of course just a complicated way of saying "now" :), but otherwise "at this moment" is generally OK, as in "at this moment, I can't think of the answer" or "at this precise moment...".

However, there are some cases where you could say "in this moment". For example, at a funeral, the priest might say "In this moment of sadness, let us take time to think..." or "in these difficult moments, we all feel sad...". In other words, the usage is in a situation where you are emphasising the fact of being "in" a particular situation. The same structure is used in the expression "we live in difficult times".

I hope that my answer does not complicate things for you !

Askalon

English (US)
    No, it's not okay in that sentence. You would have to use "at": "At that moment I turned off the light."

As DernierVirage had commented when this was originally posted, "in this/that moment" can be used to describe specific situations. You would need to elaborate on what sort of "moment" you're in (moment of sadness, of happiness, etc.). But for just simply "this/that moment," you generally use the preposition "at."

Lecword

Spanish
    Hi all,

And would it be correct to say "Don't disturb me. I am studying at the moment"?
    Or should it be "...I am studying in this moment"? :confused:

Thank you

dekay81

German
    Sorry for my bad english ;-)
    The moment i would like to discribe is the birth of my son. So, can i say:

"In this moment, the stars danced in the sky"

or

"At this moment, the stars danced in the sky" ?

Thank you !

Myridon

English - US
    "In this moment" is like "during this moment" so the moment has some duration and something happens in that time.
    Your son was born at 7:05.
    At that moment (at 7:05). the stars danced in the sky.
    In that moment (during the time from 7:04 to 7:08), the stars were dancing in the sky.

sound shift

English - England
    I agree with Myridon. I said a similar thing in another part of the forum. Quoting oneself looks bad, but I don't care :D:
    "In that moment" is sometimes seen in literature, where it presumably serves a rhetorical purpose. Sometimes it appears to indicate that the moment seemed an eternity or that it was in some way transcendental.
    Stars and childbirth strike me as excellent material for this type of usage.

dekay81

German
    I agree with Myridon. I said a similar thing in another part of the forum. Quoting oneself looks bad, but I don't care :D:Stars and childbirth strike me as excellent material for this type of usage.

But if I want to describe only accurate time (7:05) I could take "At that moment" ?