in time for you to give it to the bride

< Previous | Next >

MissFit

Can someone help me resolve a friendly argument? Which of the following sentences is grammatically correct, and why?

1. It should arrive in time for you to give to the lucky bride next month.
2. It should arrive in time for you to give it to the lucky bride next month.

Suggestions for re-wording the sentence to avoid the question entirely would also be helpful.

The context is a letter from a cutomer service manager at a company that sells quilts by mail order. She is writing to a customer who ordered a quilt to give as a wedding gift. She was sent the wrong item and is waiting for an exchange. The manager is reassuring her that the quilt will arrive well before the wedding.

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    1. It should arrive in time for you to give to the lucky bride next month.
    2. It should arrive in time for you to give it to the lucky bride next month.

Suggestions for re-wording the sentence to avoid the question entirely would also be helpful.

The context is a letter from a cutomer service manager at a company that sells quilts by mail order. She is writing to a customer who ordered a quilt to give as a wedding gift. She was sent the wrong item and is waiting for an exchange. The manager is reassuring her that the quilt will arrive well before the wedding.
    It should arrive in advance of the wedding date.

You will have the correct merchandise in time to wrap the bride in it before the wedding. :)

MissFit

I think Bouncy might be on the right track. You can't have an indirect object without a direct object. It makes sense that you shouldn't use a preposition that serves the same purpose as an indirect object without using the direct object.

evilregis

English, Canada
    The 2nd sentence is correct. I'm inclined to say the first sentence is not, but I will also say that it's also something that I've heard often enough. It's probably spoken out of laziness. However, since this is a letter to a client and in writing, the second sentence is by far more preferable.

< Previous | Next >