in tone and timing

kkarinee

Portuguese-Brazil
"The importance of his intervention was in tone and timing: it was published soon after the conference..."

I got the general idea, but what does it mean exactly?

• Andygc

British English
    Please provide details of the source of your quotation. We also need an explanation of the background to this text.

Andygc, moderator

kkarinee

Portuguese-Brazil
    Oh sorry, I hadn't read the Guidelines before posting. It's from the book "The Language of African Literature", by Ngugi Wa Thiong'o.

There was a conference on African literature and this certain man, Obi Wali, didn't think the conference addressed the real issues concerning African literature -the problem of the works being written in European languages- so he published a book soon afterwards criticizing the choice for those languages instead of African ones.

So I'd like more to know if in tone and timing is a set expression or if the author combined the words for that specific context.

Last edited:

Andygc

British English
    No, it's not a set expression. The words are being used normally - the tone was critical, and the timing (soon after the conference) made it clear who and what he was criticising.

< Previous | Next >