[in turn] the namesake of the lunar mission

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Jade Rabbit: China's Moon rover dies - BBC News

Quotation: The rover (= Jade Rabbit) is named after Yutu, the pet rabbit of the Chinese Moon goddess Chang'e, in turn the namesake of the lunar mission.

Designed to survive just three months, it had been operating for more than two years, lasting longer than Russia's 1970 Moon rover Lunokhod 1, which lived a total of 11 months.

The Jade Rabbit's main objective was to achieve China's first soft-landing on the moon, as well as to explore the surface

Context: The Chinese Lunar Exploration Program (CLEP), also known as the Chang'e program after the Chinese moon goddess Chang'e, is an ongoing series of robotic Moon missions by the China National Space Administration (CNSA). [from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Lunar_Exploration_Program]
===
Hi everyone! I think "in turn the namesake of the lunar mission" means "the lunar mission is named after Chang'e", but what does "in turn" mean? My guess is:

Yutu gives its name to the rover, and now it's Chang'e's turn to give its name to the lunar mission.

Thanks in advance.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The rover is [for its turn] named after Yutu, the pet rabbit of the Chinese Moon goddess Chang'e, who is, in her turn, the namesake of the lunar mission.

Does that help?

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "In turn" just connects two parts of the sentence. I means roughly "and also", and introduces a second logical statement (about names) in the sentence.

The form of the sentence is this:

A is named after Bs pet , and in turn B's name is used for A's mission.

I added "and" here because, with only a comma separating the clauses, there should be an "and". Omitting the "and" would be correct if the comma was a colon, semicolon or period.

In my opinion, the clauses are usually more parallel when "in turn" is used. I would expect it to have been written like this:

A is named after Bs pet , and in turn A's mission is named after B.

< Previous | Next >