In two months, In two more months - same meaning?

< Previous | Next >

rapadox

Banned
Slovak & Czech
Hello, if my friends asks me when are the holidays going to be and lets say, the nearest holiday are in March and let's say today is 10.1. 2017

Would this three sentences have the same meaning?

The holidays are in two months.

The holidays are in two more months.

Two more months until the holiday.

Like I want to know, if I say TWO MORE MONTHS, does that mean I am not counting this month and I count full two upcoming months? And when I say in two months, does that mean this month included?

For example, if my friend hates his job and he says just two more months. Does he mean he is going to give up his job in March or in April?

Thanks!

• Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hello rapadox, happy new year and PF 2017 to you and yours!

The holidays are in two months. :tick: (probably understood in the sense intended, not very idiomatic, and could be misunderstood to mean the holidays are in March and August [or any other two months], though the context would usually make the meaning clear)
    The holidays are in two more months. :tick: (not idiomatic, but understood)
    There are two (more) months (to go) until the holiday(s). :tick: - most idiomatic with all the words (including those in brackets).
    The holidays are in two months' time. (Neatest, and also very idiomatic).

The meaning is the same in all four cases. If it's January now, the holiday(s) is/are in March. If it's January and your friend says he's going to give up his job using ANY of the four options above, he's giving up the job in March.

Last edited:

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Yes, whatever the particular date, if it's still January, "in two months' time" (or any of the other options) means March. Obviously if the speaker wants to be more precise, he will give a specific date, or give the number of weeks, rather than months. When it's only two months, he might say "the month after next".

Last edited:

rapadox

Banned
    Slovak & Czech
    Thanks and could you please explain to me this? What does this mean?

We will meet every A. 3 hours, B. 3 days , C. 3 months, D. 3 years bla bla? Let's say today is: 1.1.2017 20:00 when will we meet?

What does it mean? Does it mean this?

A. I meet someone today at 20:00 (1.1.2017) does that mean I will meet him next time at 23:00?

B. I meet someone today 1.1.2017 20:00 next time I meet him will be 4.1. 2017 20:00?

C. I meet someone today 1.1.2017 20:00 next time I meet him will be 1.4.2017 20:00? or 1.3.2017 20:00??

D. I meet someone today 1.1.2017 20:00 next time I meet him will be 1.1.2020 20:00 or?

See? I am so confused how to understand this,..

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Yes, all of them are correct in principle, though the time doesn't have to be exactly correct to the day, hour or minute. In C, if it's 1.1.2017 today and you arrange to meet the person three months later, it will almost certainly be any time, day or date in April, though it could be the end of March or so if that's more convenient. Obviously you will arrange an exact time and date nearer the time.

Let's say I have three-monthly medical check-ups and the results of my check-up on 6th December were good. The doctor says "I'll see you again in three months' (time)". However he knows that from 4th-20th March he is away at a conference, so he makes the next appointment for 23rd March. It's still three months. December - 0, January = 1 month, February = 2 months, March = 3 months.

I think you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist, rapa. In three hours'/days'/weeks'/months'/years' time means three hours/days/weeks/months/years from now.

Last edited:

rapadox

Banned
    Slovak & Czech
    Yes, all of them are correct in principle, though the time doesn't have to be exactly correct to the day, hour or minute. In C, if it's 1.1.2017 today and you arrange to meet the person three months later, it will almost certainly be any time, day or date in April, though it could be the end of March or so if that's more convenient. Obviously you will arrange an exact time and date nearer the time.

Let's say I have three-monthly medical check-ups and the results of my check-up on 6th December were good. The doctor says "I'll see you again in three months' (time)". However he knows that from 4th-20th March he is away at a conference, so he makes the next appointment for 23rd March. It's still three months. December - 0, January = 1 month, February = 2 months, March = 3 months.

I think you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist, rapa. In three hours'/days'/weeks'/months'/years' time means three hours/days/weeks/months/years from now.
    I know what In three hours'/days'/weeks'/months'/years' means. I do not know what Every three hours'/days'/weeks'/months'/years' means

rapadox

Banned
    Slovak & Czech

I mean this. If I say something happens every 3 months. Does it mean It happens every time after three months? Let's say something happens 1.1.2017 and it happens every 3 months. It means it will happen next time on 1.4.2017? (meaning on the fourth month)

or it means it will happen after two months on the third month?

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I mean this. If I say something happens every 3 months. Does it mean It happens every time after three months? Let's say something happens 1.1.2017 and it happens every 3 months. It means Does it mean it will happen next time on 1.4.2017? (meaning on the fourth month)

or It means does it mean it will happen after two months on the third month?
    It will happen three months after the last time. 1/1, 1/4, 1/7....

< Previous | Next >