in what is

slothlee

汉语
The article is Indian Firm Launches World’s Cheapest Smartphone from International Business Times.

"There are already a number of cheap smartphones on the market, most priced around 1,500 rupees ($21). The intense competition between local companies like Micromax and Lava as well as a flood of Chinese companies coming into the market, including Lenovo, Xiaomi and Huawei, has led to the price of smartphones dropping month-on-month in what is, by some estimates, the world’s second biggest smartphone market surpassing the U.S."

How to understand "in what is" in "price of smartphones dropping month-on-month in what is"? What does "in" here refer to? What does "what is" mean in the sentence?

• Copyright

American English
    Does this help:

... has led to the price of smartphones dropping month-on-month in [what is, by some estimates,] the world’s second biggest smartphone market, surpassing the U.S."

And I think you need a comma after "market," so I put one in.

Progression:
    in the world’s second biggest smartphone market ...
    in what is the world’s second biggest smartphone market ...
    in what is, by some estimates, the world’s second biggest smartphone market ...

joanvillafane

U.S. English
    The price of smartphones is dropping in the world's second biggest smartphone market. The phrase "what is, by some estimates" modifies "the world's second biggest market." This market is considered, by some estimates, to be the world's second biggest.
    The whole thing is the object of the preposition "in."

slothlee

汉语
    Does this help:

... has led to the price of smartphones dropping month-on-month in [what is, by some estimates,] the world’s second biggest smartphone market, surpassing the U.S."

And I think you need a comma after "market," so I put one in.

Progression:
    in the world’s second biggest smartphone market ...
    in what is the world’s second biggest smartphone market ...
    in what is, by some estimates, the world’s second biggest smartphone market ...
    Thank you so much, Copyright. I think I could get what you mean now. "what is " refers to "the world’s second biggest smartphone market", right?
    And"by some estimates" just means someone thinks this market is the world's second biggest, right?

slothlee

汉语
    The price of smartphones is dropping in the world's second biggest smartphone market. The phrase "what is, by some estimates" modifies "the world's second biggest market." This market is considered, by some estimates, to be the world's second biggest.
    The whole thing is the object of the preposition "in."
    Thank you a lot, joanvillafane. I think I could understand this sentence now. I have posted my understanding above, if not right, feel free to correct me. Thanks again.

Copyright

American English
    Thank you so much, Copyright. I think I could get what you mean now. "what is " refers to "the world’s second biggest smartphone market", right?
    And"by some estimates" just means someone thinks this market is the world's second biggest, right?
    Yes, that's right. :) Although since it's "estimates," it is more than one someone.