In which or that

SMR_ksr

Urdu-Pakistan
I have read following sentence

wanted to criminalize an activity that the mountaineers had been engaging in for generations

In my understanding instead of THAT , "in which " should be used so sentence should be
wanted to criminalize an activity IN WHICH the mountaineers had been engaging in for generations

Could anyone explain am i right. If no, then what is difference here between That and in which

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    No, you've ended up repeating the word "in".

"...wanted to criminalize an activity IN which the mountaineers had been engaging IN for generations." That's wrong.

You can choose the one position or the other. In which is more formal than that/which... in.

SMR_ksr

Urdu-Pakistan
    No, you've ended up repeating the word "in".

"...wanted to criminalize an activity IN which the mountaineers had been engaging IN for generations." That's wrong.

You can choose the one position or the other. In which is more formal than that/which... in.
    Thank you for your reply. If i understood correctly, the sentence could be written like
    anted to criminalize an activity IN which the mountaineers had been involving for generations.
    AM I right now because Now "IN is not repeated.

Edinburgher

German/English bilingual
    Let me reconfirm "Involved in" or just "Involved"
    That depends. If you have "that" or "which" at the start, you would have "involved in" at the end.
    If you have "in which" at the start, you want "involved" at the end.
    You want one "in". Where it goes is up to you.

SMR_ksr

Urdu-Pakistan
    That depends. If you have "that" or "which" at the start, you would have "involved in" at the end.
    If you have "in which" at the start, you want "involved" at the end.
    You want one "in". Where it goes is up to you.
    OK. Thank you so much for your clear explanation.

< Previous | Next >