...in which to address the many issues associated with...

< Previous | Next >

gloria_taipei

Taiwan, Chinese
Hi everyone!

Please help me understand the following sentence.

Through the AKRSI, a statewide network of 20 partner school districts was formed, involving 176 rural schools serving nearly 20,000 predominately Alaska Native students. The remaining 28 rural school districts in Alaska (103 rural schools serving mostly non-Native communities) have served as a comparison group for assessing the impact of the AKRSI initiatives.
Utilizing an educational reform strategy focusing on integrating local knowledge and pedagogical practices into all aspects of the education system, this established network of partner schools serving diverse Indigenous populations has provided a fertile, real-world context in which to address the many issues associated with learning and Indigenous knowledge systems outlined above.

The blue part is what I have difficulty with. What is the author talking about?

Thanks in advance.

• Cypherpunk

US, English
    They are attempting to integrate indigenous knowledge, customs, and culture, while using indigenous instructional techniques in the instructional process, and the school systems that comprise the AKRSI provide a group of school systems actively engaged in reform efforts. These school systems are all working on these problems, and they hope to find multiple ways to address them.

gloria_taipei

Taiwan, Chinese
    Hi Cypherpunk. What you wrote was very clear and easy to read. Thank you! I would also like to know how to analyze the part in blue. I have read it several times but I still can't get the sentence structure right.

Cypherpunk

US, English
    The phrase is a bit ambiguous, but it refers to things the author has already said.

I would re-write the last part like this: '...these schools provide an authentic, active area to experiment in order to address the problems associated with indigenous knowledge and instruction (mentioned above).'

gloria_taipei

Taiwan, Chinese
    The phrase is a bit ambiguous, but it refers to things the author has already said.

I would re-write the last part like this: '...these schools provide an authentic, active area to experiment in order to address the problems associated with indigenous knowledge and instruction (mentioned above).'
    Ooooohh, I see! :D That's so much easier to understand. You're very good! Thanks a million!

< Previous | Next >