in/with disgust

< Previous | Next >
  • owlman5

English-US
    I'd say that someone who walks away "in disgust" feels disgust more thoroughly or deeply than someone who looks at another person "with disgust".

I'd never use "He walked away with disgust" . "She looked at him in disgust" sounds possible though unusual to me.

buoo

Korean
    Hi owlman5. I'm just curious. What is your reading of "she looked at him in disgust"?

A. She, being in disgust, looked at him.
    B. She looked at him who(him) was in disgust.

I think A is more likely to be the usual interpretation.

A combines these two ideas.

She was in disgust(for some reason not specified.) + She looked at him.

They don't really go along beside each other. No particular relation between the two ideas. Is this why this sounds unusual to you?

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    I agree with your interpretation, buoo. "A" is the only interpretation that makes any sense to me. If I wanted to say "B", I'd probably use "She looked at him. He was disgusted."

buoo

Korean
    I agree with your interpretation, buoo. "A" is the only interpretation that makes any sense to me. If I wanted to say "B", I'd probably use "She looked at him. He was disgusted."
    Oh, it's a very simple, but important point. that you offered me here. Thank you.

Edit. Did you mean to say her looking at him made him feel disgusted? Err.. Because that's not what I intended. But never mind. I just wanted to check something.

Last edited:

owlman5

English-US
    Oh, it's a very simple, but important point. that you offered me here. Thank you.

Edit. Did you mean to say her looking at him made him feel disgusted? Err.. Because that's not what I intended. But never mind. I just wanted to check something.
    Response to Edit: No, buoo. I did not mean that her looking at him made him feel disgusted. I had no particular reason in mind for his disgust.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    She looked at him with disgust. She looked at him with a look that indicated her disgust.
    She looked at him in disgust. She looked at him because she was disgusted.
    He walked away with disgust. He walked away and his posture indicated his disgust.
    He walked away in disgust. He walked away because he was disgusted.

This is how I interpret these. Of course, when she looked at him with disgust it was because she felt disgust, and when he walked away with disgust it was because he felt disgust, so both things are true in either case.

< Previous | Next >