in/within the ratio

Shweggeh

Lithuanian (not certain)
Don't argue with the context. I didn't have any ideas.
"This clay mug has had to have a mixture of clay and water in/within the ratio of 1 to 10; same as is with cereal and milk"

I rarely hear "in/within the ratio" being used. I usually just say "at" instead of "in/within".
Could someone explain to me why in may sometimes be used? It's not an array of elements is it? Then what's the in for?

• Chez

English English
    Only 'in the ratio' is correct (not within).

It is giving the clear ratio which MUST be used.

In the ratio of 1:10 is a common phrase.

Shweggeh

Lithuanian (not certain)
    So are these interchangeable? in and at?

And "within" is just a no-no?

Shweggeh

Lithuanian (not certain)
    The article makes a difference too:)
    Gotcha. Though what is the difference in the article? Also, why "in"? Using things in a ratio.. Wouldn't it mean something that's in there? I know this sounds stupid and something a beginner would surmise but still... And again, are they interchangeable?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    In has many meanings and is used in a variety of fixed expressions - not all of them are synonymous with inside. Usually the shorter the word, the more meanings it can have :D

Shweggeh

Lithuanian (not certain)
    In has many meanings and is used in a variety of fixed expressions - not all of them are synonymous with inside. Usually the shorter the word, the more meanings it can have :D
    But is it interchangeable with at? And what difference does "a" make as opposed to "the"?

< Previous | Next >