in your face

chobalsim

Banned
India-Hindi
A "close talker" is an annyoing person who doesn't understand the spatial boundaries of a conversation. Speaking in uncomfortably close proximity makes him seem pushy and "in your face."

Hi, everyone.
The paragraph advices that you should keep a certain distance with whom you talk. But the last part--"make him seem in your face/make him in your face"-- is hard to understand. What does it mean? <For your information>, the quotation marks are used by the author himself.

<-> Moderator's edit.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • susanna76

Romanian
    What if it's said after a fight? For instance, in one episode of The Gilmore Girls, Luke plays with Dean some sort of game, using a puppet: a toy which they punch and pull at, etc. Luke thrashes Dean, and then says, "In your face, man. In your face." What exactly is he saying?

susanna76

Romanian
    But why is he using this expression? Is it the idea that "you saw it, you witnessed it, you're a loser"? Or is it the idea that the defeat was like a punch in the other guy's face?

Tazzler

American English
    I think it's youth slang. When you're playing a game and you score a point, you might say that to the opponent. I guess it suits the characters.

susanna76

Romanian
    Right. I was wondering though why you'd choose this particular expression, how you relate to it when you say it.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Just to say that this is in our WR Dictionary, which also lists the adjectival use:

in-your-face
    ▶adjective informal blatantly aggressive or provocative.
    – origin 1970s: from in your face, used as a derisive insult.