In your quest

euadoropao

portuguese- Portugal
Hi!

I was reading comments on a newspaper article and came across these expressions:

"I wish you well in your quest."- Shouldn't it be "on your quest"?
<<< Second question deleted by moderator. >>>

This left me confused.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • owlman5

English-US
    "In your quest" looks possible to me, euadoropao. "On your quest" is probably more common in that phrase, but "in your quest" could mean "during your quest" in that remark.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    I agree with owlman5 - although "on" might be more faithful to the original meaning of "quest", I think that in modern usage either "in" or "on" can be used.

euadoropao

portuguese- Portugal
    Like in my other post in this section, I posted this in a hurry, not even putting the quote in proper context.

In one of the news of the sports section of the Guardian, someone was ranting about a particular football team's centre-backs to which an user replied telling him (or her) he was wrong and advising him to do some "proper research". Said user ended his post with a sarcastic "I wish you well in your quest".

I thought it had to be unequivocally "on your quest" (even conducted some lame research on google and reinforced that notion), but I see I was wrong.

Last edited:

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    Excellent context, by the way, euadoropao. I suppose you could say 'on' here, and there may be a nuance that I can't express, but I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at seeing 'in' here.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I think you go on a quest, but spend time in a quest.

Quests were all about riding for months in strange lands, slaying dragons and finding the Holy Grail, etc - this is going on a quest. The extended (and more civilised) form has developed into quests for knowledge, etc. in which you sit in a library in front of a computer - this is being involved in a quest.

Thus I agree with "I wish you well in your quest."

< Previous | Next >