Inalpage

< Previous | Next >

Miomis

Danish
I am translating a text on cows in the alps from French to Danish and since there are no alps in Denmark, I have not been able to look up any adequate expression for "inalpage". Would anybody know how the word would be translated into English?

• quinoa

french
    It's synonym is "estivage" = the summering of cattle on mountain pastures.
    I don't know if there's a specific word.

clairet

England & English (UK version)
    Welcome to the forum, Miomis. It's always a good idea to give as much context as possible - at least a full sentence.

The forum dictionary says that "alpage" refers to a "mountain pasture". Some more context might let us figure out "inalpage" - unless you get lucky and there's a simple answer from a native speaker.

Now I've seen Quinoa's answer, we seem to be looking at "transhumance" or "transhumant" (but that may be a too general and technical for your context). Again, a full sentence would help advisers (e.g. to know which part of speech you need)

Last edited:

Miomis

Danish
    Wonderful. Thank's a lot. I have another quistion in the same field, so to say - "les mayens" - I understand it as the field at the foot of the mountain, where the cattle spend the time off mountain. Is that correct - and what does such an area look like? (I'm thinking of it's vegetation, is it to compare to another sort of pasture?)
    This is a great site! An a long time since I've been a junior anywhere -)
    Thank's for ypur help!
    Bettina

< Previous | Next >