Incidents

namlan

Banned
Vietnam
- Moscow is renowned for killing each other cases of underworld gangs every night.

- Instead of this, can I say "...................for eliminating each other incidents of underworld............."?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan

• suzi br

English / England
    - Moscow is renowned for killing each other cases of underworld gangs every night.

- Instead of this, can I say "...................for eliminating each other incidents of underworld............."?

Thanks a lot!

NamLan
    My opinion is that you cant say either of them, there is something wrong with the grammar and the sense. A city cannot be famous for killing each other. The citizens can be famous for killing each other.

You need to try again!

jamesjiao

New Zealand English and Mandarin Chinese

Thanks a lot!

NamLan
    Your first sentence sounds very unnatural to me.

1) The word 'renowned' is usually used to refer to something positive; not so in this case. I'd recommend you to use 'infamous'.

2) You cannot place 'killing each other' before the phrase it modifies.

Moscow is infamous for its cases of underworld gangs killing each other every night.

Your suggestion, unfortunately just makes it sound worse. 'For' refers to the 'cases', not 'eliminating each other', so it is ungrammatical to place 'eliminating each other' immediately after 'for'.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Here's how I would say it:

Moscow is known for daily nighttime incidents of underworld gang members killing each other.

I don't think you can say that gangs "kill each other."

< Previous | Next >