incitatif (un véloroute)

< Previous | Next >

Stephoto

US English
Hello wonderfully helpful Forum people!

I'm wondering about the use of the word "incitatif" in the following context:

"La véloroute est un itinéraire cyclable en site propre, bidirectionnel, continu, jalonné, sécurisé et incitatif..."

My translation so far:

"The cycling track is a bicycle-only route that is 2-way, continuous, marked, secured and encouraging..."

I understand what "incitatif" means, I just don't see how it fits here...does it mean it's exciting...fun...incentivising (bleh)...?

• Stephoto

US English
    Welcoming might work - any confirmations out there?

SwissPete: "cycling track" is a rather UK way (please correct, any Brits out there) of saying "bike path."

Franglais1969

English English, français rouillé
    Welcoming might work - any confirmations out there?

SwissPete: "cycling track" is a rather UK way (please correct, any Brits out there) of saying "bike path."
    Can't say that I have heard of cycling track, but then I am not a cyclist. I think we call them "cycle/cycling lanes/paths" or something similar.

P.S. We like being called Brits about as much as you lot do Yanks.

Stephoto

US English
    Thanks, Franglais1969! That helps.

P.S. I always took Yanks as a (slightly ironic) term of endearment, or have I been laughing at myself the whole time?

Franglais1969

English English, français rouillé
    Thanks, Franglais1969! That helps.

P.S. I always took Yanks as a (slightly ironic) term of endearment, or have I been laughing at myself the whole time?
    No problem :)

To us, all it means is someone who is from the US. However, there are many Americans who take offence. ;) Brit doesn't really bother me personally, but I know many people from the UK who really don't like it. :)

icecreamsoldier

New Zealand English
    Cycling/cycle track would be a track for competitive cycling. Alongside a roadway it would be cycle lane as Franglais1969 suggested.
    I'd also suggest compelling, inviting (I like that, Avignonais!), alluring or appealing...

guillaumedemanzac

English - Southern England Home Counties
    No it means inciting (not inviting) - meaning that it is an incentive/encouragement to cyclists to use these cycle routes/paths/lanes to get off the roads in safety.
    However you have to to add it to the list of adjectives in the text so the nearest I can get is "as an incentive to cyclists to use these paths/tracks/routes/lanes" - (all these words for bikeway are possible). Since the French word incitatif was invented by this writer (it's not in my dictionaries), I would translate "incitatif" = incentivational(???)/incentivising(??) or motivational - but the original encouraging is also good.
    guillaume

< Previous | Next >