incivil-uncivil

Discussion in 'English Only' started by meral, Jun 23, 2007.

1. meral Member

TURKISH-TURKIYE
    Hi,

Is there any nuisance between "incivil" and "uncivil"? Or is it an issue of choice?

Thanks in advance

2. Trisia

Trisia Senior Member

București
    Romanian
    I don't know for sure... My personal choice would be:

uncivil -as an adjective
    incivility - as a noun.

I don't know why. It's simply a bit strange to me to say incivil or uncivility.

3. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    Disrespect is a much more meaningful word than incivility. Incivility should be banned from the English language.

4. Trisia

Trisia Senior Member

București
    Romanian
    :eek::confused::D

Care to explain that? :p

5. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    I agree. "Incivil" doesn't exist.

6. Harry Batt

Harry Batt Senior Member

Minneapolis
    USA English
    From Trisia [Care to explain that?} Yes, there are two explanations. First, incivility together with undutifulness and others are in the English language because the language borrows everythinig. More important, you might think that words like those remain on the books because of the thesdaurus which is untrue. The truth is, those vicious people who compose cross-word puzzles need words like incivility and undutifulness.
    Now you know the truth.

7. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    I disagree. Although disrespect is to some extent synonymous with incivility, I don't think the meaning is exactly the same. One of the joys of English is the capacity to express very precise meanings; banning words would limit our capacity for expression (see Orwell's "1984").

8. Trisia

Trisia Senior Member

București
    Romanian
    Oh, come on, I don't think Harry Batt's into Newspeak :D

Going back to the original question:

EDIT: I meant perhaps we should answer it :)

9. liliput

liliput Senior Member

Spain
    U.K. English
    "Nuisance" should be "nuance".

10. dn88 Senior Member

Polish
  11. proofs in the puddin New Member

English
    My understanding is that the prefix un- usually goes with verbs or adjectives to describe the opposite of somthing, a reversal - barbaric. The prefix in- usually means a lack of somthing or some quality - without. So incivility seems "correct" not incivil - you don't lack civil (adjective) you lack civility (noun). But what the hell we understand and thats the great thing about language. And as far as banning words - please - will not work.