include in/on

Discussion in 'English Only' started by william_wilson, Jun 17, 2008.

1. william_wilson Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Hi everybody!
    I've found this sentence while reading an English Grammar book:

"More schools will be including Shakespeare on their syllabuses".

I was wondering -- wouldn't "in" be more correct than "on"? Because of the connotation of "includes"... something included is something that is set IN or INSIDE something.

In addition to this I've googled "include in" and "include on" and saw the same number of hits with both patterns.

Thanks in advance!

2. Joelline

Joelline Senior Member

USA (W. Pennsylvania)
    American English
    Just from the fact that the word "syllabuses" is used (rather than "syllabi" as in most of Academe), I assume that the writer is not associated with higher education and therefore might not use what is most common in that area: "included in syllabi." On the other hand, I have also heard "included on syllabi," so I wouldn't say either usage was incorrect, just that using "in" is somewhat more common.

3. william_wilson Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Thank you for your answer and explanation. In fact, I've copied the exact sentence from an English Grammar Book -- I should think the writer is indeed associated with higher education. That's what shocked me -- "included on" in a Grammar book.
    Perhaps both usages are accepted as you say, but I don't think it has to do with level of education... in fact, both plural forms ("bi" and "es") are accepted.

4. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    I think in or on reflects what the writer means by syllabus:

In the syllabus means in the statement called a syllabus.
    On the syllabus means on the paper called a syllabus.