inclusive - los 12 meses comprendidos de abril-marzo inclusive

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by asteno, Mar 9, 2008.

1. asteno

asteno Senior Member

San José, Costa Rica
    USA, English
    The question: How is "inclusive" translated? Does this become redundant in this sentence in English?

Context: Este informe debe enviarse una vez al año en la fecha de 10 de abril, la información abarcará los 12 meses comprendidos de abril-marzo inclusive.

I am tempted to leave it out of the translation, since the equivalent of this sentence for me would be:
    This report should be sent once a year on the date April 10th, the information will include the 12 months covered from April-March.

2. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    This report shall be submitted once a year on April 10. The data shall cover the 12-month period from April through March.

3. asteno

asteno Senior Member

San José, Costa Rica
    USA, English
    thank you, Idiomático. I also have a quick question:
    When does one know when "should" versus "shall" should be used. The context of this document is a Communications Policy, so I do suppose that you are right in making the change to shall, but in general it seems that "debe" lends itself to significant interpretations.

thanks for your help.

4. Idiomático Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Latin American Spanish
    You are right. Debe is normally should. I suggested shall because it is followed by abarcará instead of debe abarcar. I believe the author of the Spanish document should have written deberá.

5. asteno

asteno Senior Member

San José, Costa Rica
    USA, English
    thanks idiomático,
    I always love how translators sometimes get to be the editors too! :)
    I really appreciate your help.

6. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    ...up to and including March.