Inclusive - role in a sentence

Sobakus

So I've been wondering, this word is a postposition after a certain number range, and is considered an adjective. But my brain refuses to understand what this word is adjectival to. Say, in Russian there's an adverb there and in English everything I can come up with to put in postposition also turns out to be an adverb (obviously except for the Latin/French-influenced cases of reversed word order). I mean, the question is obviosly "how", not "of what kind"! But the problem with it being an adverb is that adverbs not ending in -ly are generally considered ungrammatical, and this word is very much official. Is there any explaination and what do you personally feel this word should be classified as?

Example: from the 18 to the 23 of February inclusive.

Last edited:
  • PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    But the problem with it being an adverb is that adverbs not ending in -ly are generally considered ungrammatical,
    1. That is not true.
    2. The function of a word is not necessarily related to its position in a sentence.
    3. inclusive is an adjective in your example, its clear function is to modify the noun phrase "from the 18 to the 23 of February"
    4. inclusive (and exclusive) in the example = "including those dates" or
    5. It is post-positional to add emphasis and clarity.
    6. The whole sentence would look like, "The event will run from the 18 to the 23 of February inclusive." and is NOT equal to, "The event will run inclusively from the 18 to the 23 of February." (which would mean that the manner of its running would somehow be inclusive and would leave the question, "Yes, but will it be running in another manner before and after those dates?")

Sobakus

But I can't really see how this phrase can be modified (maybe because of my native language). All right then, could you give a few more examples of adjectives modifying similar noun phrases, especially postpositively? Thanks in advance.

< Previous | Next >