inclusive

sobhan

PERSIAN
The comedian turned down the invitation to join the Players’ Club, saying any club that would let him in was too inclusive for him.
What does "too inclusive for him" mean?
SAT essential words

• Uncle Jack

British English
    It is a joke (he is a comedian, after all); we don't usually use "inclusive" in quite that way.

Some people seek to join an exclusive club, one that is very selective about who it admits as members. The comedian suggests he would like to join one, but that if it admitted him it would not be exclusive enough for him to want to join. "Inclusive" is the opposite of exclusive, and "too inclusive" is used here to mean "not exclusive enough".

We do use "inclusive" in almost this way, and it is common to hear someone say that a group they belong to is "very inclusive". But inclusiveness is almost invariably seen as a good thing, so you would be very unlikely to hear "too inclusive".

Myridon

English - US
    Groucho Marx said "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    The standards for joining the club are too low. He wants to join an exclusive club that only accepts the rich and the elite, but the club accepts anyone so it is not a good club.

Packard

USA, English
    Groucho Marx said "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
    The standards for joining the club are too low. He wants to join an exclusive club that only accepts the rich and the elite, but the club accepts anyone so it is not a good club.

That's how I remembered it too. I just looked it up and the actual quote is slightly different, but he might have used this in a night club act and changed it from show to show. This is what I found:

“I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.”

Groucho Marx Quotes (Author of Groucho and Me)

< Previous | Next >