incontro - scontro

• Poianone

Italian, Italy
    I checked Garzanti and incontro, in the sense of scontro, it has translated with collision, but it doesn't sound good, isn't it? maybe clash is better

fran06

Italian Italy
    I hate the italian language! Why do we have to be so complicated?! I checked as well, the only translation is collision but I was wondering if in english there is a similiar expression to underline the opposition between incontro e scontro. Do you think I can just translate it with collision?

Poianone

Italian, Italy
    Hmmm... Telling you the truth, I don't like very much that collision! Do you really need to port exactly incontro-scontro? You could use a brainstorm, maybe?.. Or parts that are in contrast with them?

fran06

Italian Italy
    I don't have to....I was just wondering if there is a similar way of saying it in english. it's "incontro-scontro delle culture" I'm not sure brainstorm would be approrpiate. What do you think?

victoria luz

italy
    I thought of encounter-clash....then I googled it and I found that virtually any of the few hundreds sites retrieved are either something.it or bear some relation with Italy :eek:.
    I reckon this can be conclusive evidence of it sounding Itaglish. :(

Poianone

Italian, Italy
    Well, in this case I'd like to use clash of cultures, it sounds good to me!
    And, a more complicated cultures encounter on a collision course = le culture si incontrano su una rotta di collisione.
    Are these helpful

fran06

Italian Italy
    Very helpful, clash of cultures sound good to me too!
    Thank you

Ps Clash of cultures or cultural clash?

< Previous | Next >