incorporating the landscape into art in a different fashion

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
Is the first sentence of the following context talking about the modern sculptures that _before the new wave of large-scale outdoor sculpturing which was based on the construction of sculptures in the landscape_ in order to represent nature in art, brought parts of landscape into their artworks that were presented in the galleries and museums?

Context:
Artists by the early 1970s were constructing “nature” by incorporating the landscape into art in a different fashion. Large-scale outdoor sculptures such as Smithson’s Spiral Jetty break with modern sculpture in their exploration of an “expanded field” at the limits of the notion of sculptural scale, as the art historian Rosalind Krauss discussed in an influential essay, “Sculpture in the expanded field” (source).

• owlman5

English-US
    I'm sorry, Blue Apple, but I don't understand your question. I believe the talk about Smithson's "Spiral Jetty" is connected to the passage about what artists were doing in the early 1970s.

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    I'm sorry, Blue Apple, but I don't understand your question. I believe the talk about Smithson's "Spiral Jetty" is connected to the passage about what artists were doing in the early 1970s.
    Hi ! So do you think that "Artists by the early 1970s " is talking about land art artists like Smithson? And what do you think "they were constructing “nature” by incorporating the landscape into art in a different fashion" means?

owlman5

English-US
    I think that last bit means that they thought about where their sculptures were placed and wanted those sculptures/works of art to be considered together with their surroundings.

I do suppose that the artists in the early 1970s were land art artists, at least some of them. Otherwise, why would Mesch have placed those statements together in that paragraph?

Blue Apple

Persian (Iran)
    I think that last bit means that they thought about where their sculptures were placed and wanted those sculptures/works of art to be considered together with their surroundings.

I do suppose that the artists in the early 1970s were land art artists, at least some of them. Otherwise, why would Mesch have placed those statements together in that paragraph?

How about if I rewrite "Artists by the early 1970s were constructing “nature” by incorporating the landscape into art in a different fashion" as "Artists by the early 1970s were constructing “nature” in a different fashion, by incorporating the landscape into art"?

< Previous | Next >