increasing the stretch of the most able individuals

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Jin akashini, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Jin akashini Senior Member

vietnamese
    Hello every body,

I am translating a paper on education named "What Inequality means for children: evidence from Young Lives’ by Dornan, P. Murray, H. and Woodhead, M.

The paper is posted in Younglives website but I can not bring the paper here because it is PDF file,

I find difficult to understand the red phrase "increasing the stretch of the most able individuals " in this context fully, please help me to get it.

"One interpretation of these results links to the observation that Vietnamese teaching was focused on the class (as a whole) achieving to an acceptable level, rather than increasing the stretch of the most able individuals. The Vietnamese curricula appeared well suited to appropriately develop children’s ability, rather than beingoverambitious. It is also apparent that the qualification levels of teachers in poorer areas tend to be quite similar to those teaching in more advantaged areas, which is probably due to centralised teacher training system"

In this context, does "increasing the stretch of the most able individuals" mean "increasing the ability of most talented children" ?

May thanks,

2. miba54 Senior Member

England
    English - British
    It means "focusing on the most skilled students to make them better".

3. Jin akashini Senior Member

vietnamese
    Thank you,

4. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    "Stretching" the most able implies giving the most able pupils work which is more challenging than the work which is given to the less able - making them use their intelligence and ability as fully as possible.

5. Jin akashini Senior Member

vietnamese
    I think I see, It means developing ability of most able pupils as much as possible to see how far they can get or to make them better ..:idea:

6. Andygc

Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English