inculquer

ChaChaChaCat

Switzerland French
Bonjour!

J'aimerais savoir comment traduire "elle inculque à ses participants une série d'habitudes..." my guess: "it inculcates to its participants a set of habits"

Thank you in advance....

• ChaChaChaCat

Switzerland French
    oh, so, the correct way to say it is: "it inculcates its participants with a set of habits, skills..... ?

Thank you so much!

Kelly B

USA English
    Welcome, ChaChaChaCat,

The verb inculcate (in) is at a rather high level of language, I think. If you are writing for a high-level audience it is perfect; for a lower level, you might consider instill.
    I might rearrange the sentence so that the direct object precedes the indirect object. Edited: rechecking the proper verb structure....

Kelly B

USA English
    Floise and I are native speakers. I am going to start a thread in English Only on the proper direct/indirect objects of the verb.

Edit: it is here.

rig29

Arabic- No man's land
    Sorry, my question was an answer to:

Re: inculcate
    oh, so, the correct way to say it is: "it inculcates its participants with a set of habits, skills..... ?

Thank you so much!

Kelly B

USA English
    Well, my first thought was inculcate a set of behaviors in the young. This reverses the direct/indirect objects, and frankly, I've seen it both ways and I'm not sure which is better. I hope that the EO thread will help.

ChaChaChaCat

Switzerland French
    Hello Everybody,

Thanks for your quick replies...

Then, if you say: "...it inculcates in participants a set of habits..." is correct English, I'll use that. I'm writing for an academic paper in Uni. Hope it's not too formal...

Well, thank you all!

Bye

< Previous | Next >