incursionar (?)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by Ms Missy, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Ms Missy Senior Member

U.S. Virgin Islands
    USA English
    Greetings! The following phrase is an excerpt from an interview with a person facing the challenge of choosing between two careers.

" ... se me presentó esta oportunidad de incursionar en el medio y tomé la decisión."

Question: How would this same thought be translated into English? My Spanish/English dictionary defines 'incursionar' as incurción and inroad. Neither of these definitions are helpful to me as far as leading towards a meaningful interpretation or understanding of the phrase.

Thanks for your help!

2. Bil

Bil Banned

English USA
    "to make incursions/forays into"

"The opportunity to venture into this medium presented itself to me, so I jumped on it." :)

3. Pedro P. Calvo Morcillo

Pedro P. Calvo Morcillo Senior Member

Madrid
    España, español.
    incursionar. 2. intr. Am. Realizar una actividad distinta de la habitual.

4. Ms Missy Senior Member

U.S. Virgin Islands
    USA English
    Many thanks to both of you. You 'hit the nail on the head!' The interview was with a person who had to choose between a college career and a career as an actress. She chose to be an actress and is presently starring in a TV novela that I watch, so now that phrase (although idiomatic) makes perfect sense!

mil gracias!