indem man betont

malachirobertson

USA, English
I am having great difficulty trying to come up with an adequate translation for "indem" in the following sentence. The material quoted here comes from a 1950 monograph dealing with the Book of Revelation 11:3-13.

Man darf nicht die Meinung der meisten neueren Kommentatoren teilen, dass die Verse 5—6 Gottes Beschützung der Zeugen schildern, indem man betont, dass die Schilderung dazu dient, die übermenschliche Stellung der Zeugen zu zeigen. Nein, diese übermenschliche Stellung ist ja klar durch V. 3—4.

Part of what makes the matter confusing is that there seems to be a connection between "schildern" before the clause with "indem" and "die Schilderung" mentioned within the clause with "indem." It would also seem that, while "man" at the start of the sentence acts as a hidden reference to the author of the sentence, the second "man" refers to the commentators.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    One should not agree with most new commentators that verses 5-6 portray God's protection of the witnesses, by emphasizing that the potrayal serves to show the supernatural position of the witnesses. No, this supernatural position is already clear in verses 3-4.

The emphasis is the way the agreement would be shown.

mustang72

Swiss German
    ... Part of what makes the matter confusing is that there seems to be a connection between "schildern" before the clause with "indem" and "die Schilderung" mentioned within the clause with "indem." It would also seem that, while "man" at the start of the sentence acts as a hidden reference to the author of the sentence, the second "man" refers to the commentators. ...
    'man' is a neutral replacement for he/she and means basically "someone, everyone, anyone" or just "one" but I have a hard time to use them were I like to say 'man'. Sometimes it even works to use "you". I constantly struggle to translate such sentences because they are not constructed the same way in English.

Man hat es nicht leicht heutzutage = It's not easy (for everyone) nowadays
    Man hat es nicht leicht heutzutage = One/Everyone has it not easy nowadays :cross:[That doesn't sound natural for me]

'indem (man)' means "by doing something (by someone)"
    Man lernt eine Sprache, indem man taeglich lernt. = You learn a language by studying daily.

< Previous | Next >