Indemnity for loneliness That such a bliss has been.

< Previous | Next >

chopin7

Albanian
Hello

There are these verses from Dickinson

Of so divine a loss
We enter but the gain,
Indemnity for loneliness
That such a bliss has been.

Is she saying that loneliness has been such a bliss?
Am I getting it right?

Thank you

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Of so divine a Loss -> This has religious references – the “divine Loss” is a reference to the time when (according to the biblical myth) Adam and Eve were expelled from Paradise, i.e. the Garden of Eden.
    We enter but the Gain, -> We then only gain (come into possession of) the world that God has given us – the one that we experience now - which is inferior to Paradise and seen as a place of suffering, sin, etc.
    Indemnity -> as repayment to God for Adam and Eve’s sin
    for Loneliness -> in exchange for the loneliness of Paradise – there were only two people in Paradise (as opposed to a world full of people.).
    That such a Bliss has been -> That = Paradise -> that had been so blissful.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Have another look - I have edited the piece - you were too quick and I was too slow. :D

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Are you saying you are not sure, Paul?
    No. I am saying that I wrote the post, and then thought for a while. At this stage, you had not responded. I then decided that I should add some further explanation - so I did.

When I posted the edited version, I saw that you had already replied and therefore could not have read the edited version.

I am asking you to read #2 again as it might not be the version you thanked me for.

< Previous | Next >