independent/ dip my head

Dr.Appalayya

India;Telugu
Secondly, back from Mecca, I got taken by Chikungunya fever and laid low for one full month.

Last, but not the least, my brother's marriage which was fixed (1)independent of the all other programmes immediately followed and thus I was not able to (2)dip my head into studies.

The above is an explanation given by a student for missing the exam.

The first red lettered phrase is to convey the meaning that the event which clashed with her exam were fixed without considering the possible, future unexpected events.

Can you just explain the correctness or otherwise of the red lettered phrases.

• volky

Spanish/English
    Independent / regardless / without takin into consideration any other plans/situations/events.

Dip my head into studies / Inmerse in the studies. / Dedicate the necessary time and effort to study for the test.

skyblue96

English United States
    I would say:

"Secondly, as soon as I got back from Mecca, I was taken by Chikungunya fever and had to lay low for a month. Finally, my brother's marriage, which was planned without consideration for other events, immediately followed and thus prevented me from studying for the exam."

If you would like to maintain more of your phrasing, the idea is generally correct, with just a few changes.

I got taken should be I was taken
    Last, but not the least, should be Last but not least,
    independent of the all other programmes should be independently of other plans/situations/events
    There should also be a comma after marriage and after the word that replaces programmes.

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    Last, but not the least, my brother's marriage which was fixed (1)independent of the all all the other programmes immediately followed and thus I was not able to (2)dip my head into studies.

The first 'the' is surperfluous.
    All the other programmes is the correct construction.

The whole sentence and paragraph is stilted and would sound better with a couple of tweaks.

I have not been able to pay attention to my studies because I contracted Chikungunya fever and required a month of recuperation upon my return from Mecca. My situation was made worse by my brother's marriage which was planned well in advance and has unfortunately consumed what time I had available. Please accept my apologies. I will do all that I can to catch up.