Indian rope burns and head-noogies

jacdac

Lebanese
<...>
and so Andy was left in charge of Terry and me. That wasn’t a thing I relished, because Andy could be a boogersnot, especially when our parents weren’t there. For an avowed Christian, he was awfully fond of Indian rope burns and head-noogies –hard ones that left you seeing stars.
Source: Revival by Stephen King
Context: The Morton family went to the funeral and left the narrator and his two siblings at home.

Are Indian rope burns and head-noogies pranks? Do they actually hurt? Still common?

Thank you.

Edit: typo corrected.

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    Not planks but pranks ... and often very painful ones.

Indian rope burn: grab someone's arm with both your hands side by side, like you'd grab a pipe. Now move your left hand forward and your right hand backward. Repeat rapidly. This will leave a red mark on the person's arm where you have been twisting back and forth.

Head-noogie: grab someone in a head lock with one arm, make a fist with your other hand and use the the exposed knuckles to scrub the top of the head back and forth rapidly. Also results in pain.

Copyright

American English
    Urban Dictionary: head noogie
    extreme friction between two individuals heads that leaves even the straightest hair messy.
    I would be very surprised by this, especially coming from Stephen King – we're both Americans and just a year apart in age and probably witnessed the same juvenile behavior growing up. I've never heard of Urban Dictionary's definition of the phrase, but witnessed years of instances of the headlock–knuckle rub noogie. :)

You little ripper!

Australian English
    I would be very surprised by this, especially coming from Stephen King – we're both Americans and just a year apart in age and probably witnessed the same juvenile behavior growing up. I've never heard of Urban Dictionary's definition of the phrase, but witnessed years of instances of the headlock–knuckle rub noogie. :)
    The Urban dictionary also has your definition and more :thumbsup: so let's go with that. :)

Urban Dictionary: noogie

A painful sensation caused by the rubbing of knuckle, fist, or hand to ones head. Generally causing hair displacement and mild cursing.

< Previous | Next >