Indictment: DOES 1 through 50, inclusive,

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sophiasophie, Sep 25, 2016.

1. sophiasophie Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi

I saw this in an indictmnent:

all persons unknown, claiming any legal or equitable right, title, estate, lien or interest in the property described in the Verified Complaint adverse to Plaintiff’s interest in the property; and DOES 1 through 50, inclusive.

I have konwn the meaning of "DOES", a way of naming people whose names you don't know. But what does 1 through 50 mean? Does it mean Doe 1, Doe 2, ……Doe 50? i.e. the plantiff designates 50 such persons.

2. bennymix

bennymix Senior Member

Ontario, Canada. I grew up in US.
    English (American).
    Perhaps there is a list of persons, no names, 1. the maid, 2., the butler, etc. So they are DOES 1-50.

3. British English does not use 1 through 50. Instead we say 1 to 50 inclusive.

Perhaps when our North American friends wake up they will confirm that 1 through 50 inclusive ends with a redundant word.

4. Glenfarclas Senior Member

Chicago
    English (American)
    Yes, it refers to all fifty of those people whose identities are not known and are thus designated by the prosecution (there is no plaintiff in a criminal case) as DOE Nº 1, DOE Nº 2, et al.

It's only mildly redundant, in the sense that it's probably not strictly necessary but doesn't jump out as being anything more than clarifying.