indistinguishable from chance

chopin7

Albanian
Hello

It's the movie Mission Impossible.
Some big shot is reproaching some guy from IMF.
And he says,
"From where I sit, your unorthodox methods are indistinguishable from chance.
And your results, perfect or not...looks suspiciously like luck."

The phrase is clear in itself but I am not sure about "indistinguishable from chance".
Is he saying simply "You just grab the chance and act".
For me, if the results were associated with "indistinguishable from chance" it would be okay.
But methods? Something seems not so right.
Any idea?

Thank you

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    "From where I sit, your unorthodox methods are indistinguishable from chance." = "From where I sit, your unorthodox methods are indistinguishable from leaving things to chance."

I think chance is being used its meaning of destiny, fate, fortune, etc. But I agree, the scriptwriter gave the character an unusual line.

Damoncito

English - American
    Chance is often used as a synonym for luck. The lines are awkward together - his methods cannot be distinguished from luck and his results look like luck.

This is a standard conclusion in the sciences. Suppose 30% of those with a disease die from it, unattended. A scientist says, "This injection will greatly help those ill." The experiment is
    to give it to 100 ill people. The result is that 29 died. Conclusion. The 'method' (procedure) yielded results 'indistinguishable from chance,' since about 30 could normally be expected to die.

< Previous | Next >