individual corporate, sector/regional, commodities, macro...

AlexanderIII

Russian
Dear all, Could you please help me out with a difficulty in the novel by Peter Mountford 'A Young Man’s Guide to Late Capitalism'? Here are the adjacent phrases: The Calloway Group seeks a full-time contractor as a political analyst for the Latin America region. Responsibilities include making regular trips to Latin America, interviewing corporate and political leaders, writing reports and briefs on a range of financial issues in the region. Areas of investigation include: individual corporate, sector/regional, commodities, macro, forex. What puzzles me here is punctuation. I hope the phrase means: 'Areas of investigation include individual and corporate analysis of regional commodities by sectors [of local economy], analysis of macroeconomics and foreign currency exchange rates.' I'm afraid it is no so. Could you please explain the real meaning of the phrase in question in the simplest way you can (I do not make head or tail of economy).

• DocPenfro

English - British
    Your analysis of the sentence is very accurate. The original was written in the kind of compressed, telegraphic style that is associated with advertisements. Just enjoy the novel and don't worry about the details too much.

AlexanderIII

Russian
    I'd love to, DocPenfro, but I'm translating it for a publisher so I must be sure. Thank you very much for your post, it makes me feel the wings are growing on my back.

AlexanderIII

Russian
    Thank you, Pwmeek, of course it's a pleasure to be praised like this.

<< Deleted comment. Now part of thread in Comments and Suggestions. >>

Last edited by a moderator:

DocPenfro

English - British
    I have just checked my Shorter OED, which does indeed offer "of no avail" alongside "to". Personally, I still think I have normally heard (BE) users say "to no avail"; however I would not want to set myself up as an unchallengeable authority on this matter.

Also: BE users would sometimes say "I can't make head nor tail of ... ", although here again it would be largely a matter of personal taste.

< Previous | Next >