individual entrepreneur - IE ?

Bachatamor

Russian
Hello everyone,

I have to translate a contract. In the contract "individual enterpreneur" is mentioned.
The contract is bilingual. In the Russian version of the contract we have "IP" - the abbreviation of the Individualnij predprinimatel (individual enterpreneur).
Can I leave "IP" and the Russian term in the English version of the contract or can I put down "IE" as the abbreviation of the "individual entrepreneur" or what shall I do ?

Thank you for your answers :)

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    It doesn't really matter which abbreviation you use, an English reader won't understand either of them until you explain. Do this on the first occasion the entrepreneur is mentioned. So you can write (for instance) any of these:
    • This contract is between Kompaniya Kakeozovut and an individual entrepreneur (referred to below as IE)...
    • This contract is between Kompaniya Kakeozovut and an individual entrepreneur (referred to below as IP)...
    • This contract is between Kompaniya Kakeozovut and an individual entrepreneur (Individualnij predprinimatel referred to below as IP)...

Bachatamor

Russian
    It doesn't really matter which abbreviation you use, an English reader won't understand either of them until you explain. Do this on the first occasion the entrepreneur is mentioned. So you can write (for instance) any of these:
    • This contract is between Kompaniya Kakeozovut and an individual entrepreneur (referred to below as IE)...
    • This contract is between Kompaniya Kakeozovut and an individual entrepreneur (referred to below as IP)...
    • This contract is between Kompaniya Kakeozovut and an individual entrepreneur (Individualnij predprinimatel referred to below as IP)...
    Thank you very much for your answer !

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "IE" isn't a standard abbreviation for individual entrepreneur in English, but it's OK to use it throughout your document to save time and space, as long as you explain the abbreviation at the very beginning, as Keith has wisely suggested.

Bachatamor

Russian
    "IE" isn't a standard abbreviation for individual entrepreneur in English, but it's OK to use it throughout your document to save time and space, as long as you explain the abbreviation at the very beginning, as Keith has wisely suggested.
    Thank you !:)
    Is there a standard abbreviation for "individual entrepreneur" in English ?

Rhye

English - American
    No, which is why you would have to take one of the above suggestions :).

vendoubt

Russian
    Is there a standard abbreviation for "individual entrepreneur" in English ?
    The simplest legal structure to operate a business, similar to the individual entrepreneur in Russia, is called a sole trader in English, if that's what you are asking.
    But you cannot use it in your translation because, well, it is not the same thing :)