"individually" needs a synonym here...

< Previous | Next >

prr

English--USA
I am writing a sentence about the Three-Fifths Compromise in the US Constitution.

This was a compromise between the North, which didn’t want slaves counted at all, and the South, which wanted to count them individually.

"Individually" is probably not the best word here. I want to convey the fact that the South wanted the slaves counted as one whole person, and not as 3/5.

Suggestions?

• owlman5

English-US
    If you don't like "individually", you might think about using "as individuals": ...which wanted to count them as individuals.

prr

English--USA
    Thanks. "As individuals" certainly sounds better than "individually," although I'm still hoping for a term that brings out the "one whole" aspect.

"As whole individuals"? Sounds a bit awkward.

prr

English--USA
    OK, I think I can go with "count each slave as a single individual." That phrase might be redundant, but I need to emphasize this point.

owlman5

English-US
    I agree. However, "as whole individuals" is clear. That may be a good enough reason to use it even though it sounds awkward to you.

PS. You bumped your last post while I was trying to reply to your question. Your last suggestion looks okay to me.

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    In the particular political context, "as whole individuals" -- to me, at least -- carries a nuance that is more positive than is warranted. The southern states wanted slaves counted among their population because doing so would give those states greater representation in Congress. Northern states didn't want them counted, for the corresponding reason. The argument was over political power. "As whole individuals" sounds as though there was some actual consideration for the personhood of the slaves.

prr

English--USA
    OK, "count each slave as a single individual" it is.

Thanks to you both.

< Previous | Next >