Indonesian: alat make up

• Nicoclone

Indonesian - Indonesia
    "Make up" in this sentence refers to cosmetics.
    It is ok to use that phrase since all Indonesian people will understand it.

Rani_Author

Indonesia - Indonesian
    As Nicoclone said above, make up in the context above is cosmetics. We use the English noun of makeup. This word is so familiar to use, even in any literatures. But, to type it properly, you should use "italic" character. The original translations are "alat-alat kecantikan, alat-alat rias, dandanan, rias wajah".

Yes, it's recommended to use "make up" than the original translations.

For the verb of make up like you mentioned above, Indonesians basically translate them. :)

Last edited:

kata2

Mandarin
    How "make" is pronounced in that case? "Ma-ke" or the English way?

The reason I ask is:

I notice (some) people in ID pronounce "Cathay (Pacific Airways)" as "Ka-thai" rather than the official one. However, I appreciate it as it is more closer to the Chinese name of the company.

Last edited:

Rani_Author

Indonesia - Indonesian
    It's like in the English way. Because, we adopted it from English.

:D Yes, they are. Because, the English way is so hard for the majority of Indonesians. :rolleyes: So, we adapted the pronounciation to become easier. It's so popular to say Ka-thai. No one here would mind it. :D Except, if they are speaking English. :cool:

Last edited:

Rani_Author

Indonesia - Indonesian
    ¡Hola, querido @Meight07! Ay, eres un mexicano, ¿pero hablas indonesio? :rolleyes: ¡Qué increíble eres! ¡Qué magnífico es! :thumbsup:

Haha.... Yes, it's an Indonesian literal translation. The proper literal translation is "membuat ke atas" or "buatlah ke atas!" (imperative form).

But, not in the serious context above. :D

< Previous | Next >