Indonesian: dada/tata

Tua Bangka

English-SouthEast England and Australian
I was told 'dada' can mean goodbye in indonesian. And children pronounce it 'tata'.

I just wanted to check as it doesn't show up on Google except with the meaning chest or bosom...

Thanks if you can help.
TB

• anzhyo

- -
    According to KBBI III:
    dadah²/da·dah/ p cak mengatakan dah (untuk memberi salam pertemuan atau perpisahan)
    bye (particle; conversational) to say dah (said when greeting or parting ways)

tata /ta·ta/ n aturan (biasanya dipakai dalam kata majemuk); kaidah, aturan, dan susunan; cara menyusun; sistem
    (noun) rules (usually used in compound words); norms, rules and arrangement; how to arrange; system

dada /da·da/ n
    1 bagian tubuh sebelah depan di antara perut dan leher: ia memukul dadanya
    2 rongga tubuh tempat letak jantung dan paru-paru: ia akan menjalani operasi dada karena jantungnya sakit

chest (noun)
    1. the front part of the body between the stomach and the neck: he hit his chest
    the body cavity in which lies the heart and lungs: he will undergo heart surgery because of chest pain

In colloquial Indonesian, dada can mean bosom, a woman's chest or breasts, depending on how this word is placed in a sentence (read: context).

Examples:
    dada ayam = chicken breast
    dadanya gede* = montok** = [her] breasts are big

In formal Indonesian, the word for human breasts is payudara.
    payudara /pa·yu·da·ra/ n buah dada; susu; tetek (don't use this last synonym unless you're really intimate with a girl)
    breast (noun) bosom; bust; tits (please excuse the language)

*big (colloquial Indonesian)
    **plump and full (colloquial Indonesian)

I hope that helps :)

Last edited:

anzhyo

- -
    Erratum:
    rongga tubuh tempat letak jantung dan paru-paru: ia akan menjalani operasi dada karena jantungnya sakit
    2. the body cavity in which lies the heart and lungs: he will undergo chest surgery because of cardiac pain

kaiaru

Indonesia - Indonesian and Javanese
    I was told 'dada' can mean goodbye in indonesian. And children pronounce it 'tata'.

I just wanted to check as it doesn't show up on Google except with the meaning chest or bosom...

Thanks if you can help.
    TB
    I'm in a roll commenting on old threads, basically what anzhyo said is correct, the correct KBBI word is dadah.

However, in reality, people will pronounce it dada instead of dadah. so when you say good bye in Indonesian, you say dada. Indonesian will know that you mean dadah. Children also use dada instead of tata as far as I know, as pronouncing dada should be rather easy for them.

< Previous | Next >