Indonesian: it

new1

English
Hello,
As far as I'm aware, Indonesian has no word for "it". It's kind of hard to understand that you can't simply refer to something mentioned before using "it".
Imagine a sentence like this:
"We'll check this action to find out if it is safe or dangerous and block it if it is dangerous"
How would you say it in Indonesian?

My attempt:
"Kami akan memeriksa tindakan ini untuk mengetahui apakah ia aman atau berbahaya dan menghalanginya jika ia berbahaya"

But if "ia" can't be used to mean "it", should I rather say it in the following way?
"Kami akan memeriksa tindakan ini untuk mengetahui apakah tindakan ini aman atau berbahaya dan menghalangi tindakan ini jika tindakan ini berbahaya"

That sentence probably sounds horrible due to word repetition. Is there any way to avoid that? Maybe "ia" should be omitted altogether?
"Kami akan memeriksa tindakan ini untuk mengetahui apakah aman atau berbahaya dan menghalangi jika berbahaya"

Basically, how would you word such sentences in Indonesian? Is there really no easy way to say "it"?

Thank you for any input.

• Rani_Author

Indonesia - Indonesian
    You could use "ini/ itu/ ia/ -nya" as the substitution of "it".

About your attempts, the first one is the best. Because, Indonesian permits more than one "ia/ -nya" in one sentence. :thumbsup: The second one isn't an effective sentence. Because Indonesian prohibits any repetition (except "ia/ -nya" and "yang") in any sentence (like "tindakan ini" in the context above). The third one doesn't make any sense. Because, the translation changes in "menghalangi". What we should "halangi" if there's no explanation like "-nya"?! :)

Congratulations for your Indonesian! Thanks a lot for learning my mother tongue. :thumbsup:

P.S.: If you need another version to make it perfect, like this:
    Kami akan memeriksa tindakan ini untuk mengetahui apakah aman atau berbahaya dan menghalanginya jika berbahaya.
    Basically, that sentence could separate become two sentences. "Kami akan memeriksa tindakan ini untuk mengetahui apakah aman atau berbahaya" and "kami akan menghalanginya jika berbahaya". So, you could omit the other "ia/ -nya". Because, the word "apakah" and "jika" have assimilated the "ini/ -nya".

new1

English
    Thank you for your reply. From what I read, "ia" or "dia" is sometimes used as the equivalent of "it" due to English influence. At least that's what books claim. Does it sound natural in Indonesian?