Indonesian: -nya

• Rani_Author

Indonesia - Indonesian
    "-nya" isn't a kind of suffix. It's the repetition of "dia/ ini/ itu (he/ she/ this/ that/ it)". When "dia/ ini/ itu"--I meant, the subject or the object of person or something we talk about--is mentioned for twice, third, etc (before the topic changes), we should use -nya. Or in the other words, "-nya" is "his/ her/ its/ the". Sometimes, it could use "tersebut".

I'll give you simple examples:
    - Ibuku sedang makan nasi. Nasinya telah dicampur dengan kacang-kacangan. (My mother is eating rice. The rice was mixed with beans). :tick: --> It could be modified become: Ibuku sedang makan nasi. Nasi tersebut telah dicampur dengan kacang-kacangan. :tick:
    or
    Ibuku sedang makan nasi. Nasinya telah dicampur dengan kacang-kacangan. (My mother is eating rice. Her rice was mixed with beans). :tick: --> It could be modified become: Ibuku sedang makan nasi. Nasi tersebut telah dicampur dengan kacang-kacangan. :cross: --> Ibuku sedang makan nasi. Nasi ibuku tersebut telah dicampur dengan kacang-kacangan. :tick:
    - Aku menyukai lelaki tampan itu. Aku tidak akan berhenti untuk mengejar cintanya. (I love that handsome man. I wouldn't stop catching his love up). :tick: --> It could be modified become: Aku menyukai lelaki tampan itu. Aku tidak akan berhenti untuk mengejar cinta tersebut. :cross:--> Aku menyukai lelaki tampan itu. Aku tidak akan berhenti untuk mengejar cinta lelaki tampan tersebut. :tick:
    - Kakak perempuanku membeli sepatu kemarin. Sepatunya berwarna merah. (My sister bought shoes yesterday. The colour of her shoes are red). :tick: --> It could be modified become: Kakak perempuanku membeli sepatu kemarin. Sepatu tersebut berwarna merah. :cross: --> Kakak perempuanku membeli sepatu kemarin. Sepatu kakak perempuanku tersebut berwarna merah. :tick:
    or
    My sister bought shoes yesterday. The colour of the shoes are red).:tick: --> Kakak perempuanku membeli sepatu kemarin. Sepatu tersebut berwarna merah. :tick:
    - Anjing itu sedang memberi makan anak-anaknya yang masih bayi. (The dog is feeding its puppies that are still babies). :tick: --> Anjing itu sedang memberi makan anak-anak tersebut yang masih bayi. :cross: --> Anjing itu sedang memberi makan anak-anaknya tersebut yang masih bayi.:tick:

These are all of words from "kejar":
    - Kejar, mengejar (verb): to chase, to pursue, to follow, to catch up, to stalk, to hunt down.
    - Berkejaran (verb): to run around, to run together.
    - Berkejar-kejaran (verb): to romp. (to play roughly, energetically and happily--especially of a child or animal)
    - Kejar-kejaran (noun): a romp. (A rough and energetic play)

In the context you asked above, the "-nya" is to repete "sembilan pelaku" (the object of the second sentence).
    Sabilul mengatakan, masih ada sembilan pelaku yang diburu Polres Jember. "Kami akan bekerjasama dengan Polres Banyuwangi untuk mengejarnya," katanya.

"-nya" in "katanya" to repete "Sabilul" (the subject of the first sentence).
    Sabilul mengatakan, masih ada sembilan pelaku yang diburu Polres Jember. "Kami akan bekerjasama dengan Polres Banyuwangi untuk mengejarnya," katanya.

Note: the blue colour is the main words that are changed to "-nya" and "tersebut" in the red colour.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >