Indonesian: What about you?

James Bates

Banned
Urdu
Somebody asked me if I used any social media applications. I replied, "Saya punya WhatsApp." (I have WhatsApp.)
How would I have said "What about you?"

"Saya punya WhatsApp. Kalau anda bagaimana?"
Does that make any sense?

• Rani_Author

Indonesia - Indonesian
    Sure. It makes sense. Or you can say, "Bagaimana dengan Anda?"

But, basically, Indonesians don't use "Anda" in any social medias. Although, we just knew each other. "Anda" is just used in very formal situation in the real life, like from any lecturers to any students in any colleges and universities, from any officers to any clients in any offices and banks, or something like that. If no, we use "kamu".

But, if you want to be polite, you can replace the word "Anda/ kamu" with the word "Bapak" for any men, "Ibu" for any women, "Mas" for any boys, "Mbak" for any girls, "Kakak" for any general genders older than you, "Adik" for any general genders younger than you. :)

Rani_Author

Indonesia - Indonesian
    Actually, it depends on the context. Basically, "Bapak" is more proper and could be used in more general situations.

But, "Anda" is more polite. Example: you speak to your boss. Even, if you speak outside of the office, it would be more polite to use "Anda".

Persisch

Banned
    German - Germany
    So if somebody asked me my name and I replied, "Nama saya Budi. Kalau Anda bagaimana?" would it be correct Indonesian?
    I mean "My name is Budi. What about yours?"

Rani_Author

Indonesia - Indonesian
    So if somebody asked me my name and I replied, "Nama saya Budi. Kalau Anda bagaimana?" would it be correct Indonesian?
    Correct. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I mean "What about yours?"
    The proper translation for "What about yours?" is "Bagaimana dengan diri Anda?" or "Kalau diri Anda bagaimana?"

Just the word "Anda" is too formal in informal situation. :)

Thank you so much for learning my mother tongue, @James Bates & @Persisch. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::)

Last edited:

kaiaru

Indonesia - Indonesian and Javanese
    This is a rather old forum, but maybe someone is learning and passing by.

The "bagaimana" in Whatsapp conversation is correct, but not necessarily natural. The "bagaimana" in name conversation, in my opinion, is wrong.

"Saya punya WhatsApp. Kalau anda bagaimana?"
    Does that make any sense?
    I feel that these would work better:
    Saya punya Whatsapp, bagaimana dengan Bapak/ Anda? (correct, formal, but not natural)
    Saya punya Whatsapp, apa Bapak/ Anda punya juga? or Saya punya Whatsapp, apa Bapak juga punya? (correct, formal/colloquial, more natural)
    Saya punya Whatsapp, kalau Bapak/Anda bagaimana? (correct formal, more natural, change bagaimana to gimana for colloquial)

I mean "My name is Budi. What about yours?"
    The translation, I think should be:
    My name is Budi. What about yours?
    Nama saya Budi, nama Bapak/Anda siapa? or Nama saya Budi, kalau (nama) Bapak/Anda siapa? (correct, formal)
    Namaku Budi, namamu siapa? (correct, less formal/ colloquial)
    Nama gua Budi, (nama) lo siapa? (correct, very colloquial)

The proper translation for "What about yours?" is "Bagaimana dengan diri Anda?" or "Kalau diri Anda bagaimana?"
    @James Bates & @Persisch. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::)
    For
    What about yours?, I feel that the "diri" part is unnecessary. "Bagaimana dengan Anda?" or "Kalau Anda bagaimana?" will better, though they are correct still.

The colloquial will be Kalau kamu/ lo gimana?

dcx97

Banned
    Hindi - India
    But, if you want to be polite, you can replace the word "Anda/ kamu" with the word "Bapak" for any men, "Ibu" for any women, "Mas" for any boys, "Mbak" for any girls, "Kakak" for any general genders older than you, "Adik" for any general genders younger than you. :)
    I think that "mas" and "mbak" are not Indonesian words.

EsauI

Indonesian
    Yup. But if you use it from sabang to merauke, everyone will understand so those were Indonesian words

I see you

Banned
    English - USA
    Yes, now I remember that the main difference between Bahasa Indonesia and Bahasa Melayu is that the former uses many Javanese words.

I see you

Banned
    English - USA
    I used to chat with a Malay girl. She had trouble understanding me only when I used an Indonesian word that was borrowed from Javanese. Other than that, she understood me perfectly well.

For example, she didn't understand me when I said, "Dia punya pacar." (He has a girlfriend)

EsauI

Indonesian
    But dia punya pacar wasn't Javanese it was pure Indonesian. Melayu uses dia mempunyai teman wanita to translate he has a gf of course your friend wouldn't understand

EsauI

Indonesian
    Pacar can mean gf or bf both in Indonesian and Javanese but it was an Indonesian word, everyone knows it

< Previous | Next >