Indoor Bathroom or indoor plumbing

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
Hi, I am unsure if this picture and this can be referred to as Indoor Bathroom or indoor plumbing, and my question is what do you usually say when you visit your friend's house, you're amazed at their beautifully decoreated bathroom? For example:

Oh my god, Kevin, Your____ is gorgeous!

Can the blank be filled with Indoor Bathroom or indoor plumbing?

Thanks.

• Matching Mole

England, English
    Plumbing is almost always "indoor" so I find this word unnecessary. Same with bathroom, so I would omit this word. You would not normally compliment plumbing (the arrangement of pipes) unless the person had done it his or herself and you wanted to particularly compliment them on their skills. If you mean the bathroom suite (bath, toilet, etc) I would not call that plumbing, however I cannot speak for American usage.

So I would just say "Your bathroom is gorgeous". As I said, I would call the items in your photos collectively "a bathroom suite". This may be BE usage.

kenny4528

Mandarin, Taiwan
    Plumbing is almost always "indoor" so I find this word unnecessary. Same with bathroom, so I would omit this word. You would not normally compliment plumbing (the arrangement of pipes) unless the person had done it his or herself and you wanted to particularly compliment them on their skills. If you mean the bathroom suite (bath, toilet, etc) I would not call that plumbing, however I cannot speak for American usage.

So I would just say "Your bathroom is gorgeous".
    Hi,

I saw this term ''indoor plumbing'' in my textbook:

To visit them, some travel in luxury while others forsake soft beds and indoor plumbing for adventure.

I haven't encountered indoor plumbing before too, so I think it might be a specific term referring to bathroom. I think your idea makes great sense.:)

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    "indoor plumbing" refers to the system of pipes that allows someone to have a toilet or a bathtub or a kitchen sink. If you are camping in the wilderness in a tent, however, you need to get your water in some other way (such as from a stream), and you cannot take a shower, or just turn on a faucet, or use a flush toilet. Thus, the phrase refers to all the conveniences that modern plumbing provides.

The village is very primitive. None of the houses has indoor plumbing, so the women still have to go to the town well daily with water jars in order to get water for drinking, cooking, and washing.

C. E. Whitehead

English, U.S.
    "indoor plumbing" is a luxury; people used to have to go to an outhouse to use the bathroom and boil water in a kettle over the fire to take a bath or do the laundry. "Indoor plumbing" (in American English at least) means the pipes and such that carry water.

I likewise would not describe plumbing as beautifully decorated unless, for example, someone had tied ribbons onto the faucets, and had painted candy stripes on the p-trap (the p-trap is the plastic or metal pipe that carries the drain water from the sink; it might have a u-shape or some other 'trap' to catch food and hair that fall into the drain; I do not know why it is called a 'p-trap').

--cew

C. E. Whitehead

English, U.S.
    "indoor plumbing" is a luxury; people used to have to go to an outhouse to use the bathroom and boil water in a kettle over the fire to take a bath or do the laundry. "Indoor plumbing" (in American English at least) means the pipes and such that carry water inside the house.

I thus would not describe plumbing as beautifully decorated unless, for example, someone had tied ribbons onto the faucets, and had painted candy stripes on the p-trap (the p-trap is the plastic or metal pipe that carries the drain water from the sink to the septic or sewage system; it might have a u-shape or some other shape to create a 'trap' that catches food and hair that fall into the drain; I do not know why it is called a 'p-trap').

We "decorate rooms," but normally do not "decorate the plumbing" (in American English).

--cew

mjscott

American English
    I agree with Matching Mole--except that a bathroom suite is not used with frequency in AE--just bathroom. The only time you would use indoor plumbing is if you were contrasting it with camping out, or adventure--as was in the context.

"My house didn't have indoor plumbing until I was born."

You would never comment on someone's indoor plumbing unless it was just recently put in.

< Previous | Next >