indoor farm

moura

Portuguese Portugal
Hi,

May anyone explain me pls what is an "indoor farm"? It's not a question of meaning, though of concept, so perhaps it's not within the forum area, but I give it a try :)
Thanks

• maxiogee

Banned
    English
    We'd need context, but could it possibly refer to people growing crops in glasshouses, or under covers - as in mushroom farming?

moura

Portuguese Portugal
    maxiogee said:
    We'd need context, but could it possibly refer to people growing crops in glasshouses, or under covers - as in mushroom farming?
    Sorry about my "agricultural ignorance" Maxiogee, but what's a mushroom farming? Perhaps indoor farm may be it, just with the difference of having many other different agricultural species inside. Before putting the thread I search all over the web and the only thing I found was this(speaks of "vertical farms" but don't know if it's the same). And I remember seing a tv news, in Japan, with some cultures inside a building (perhaps an habitational building).

So, together with yr suggestions may be it is an "agricultural area cropped inside a building".

Thanks

The context: "a 1966 forecast envisioned robot tractors, indoor farms, irrigation with desalinized seawater, and synthetic meats" not very helpful I'm afraid...":(

maxiogee

Banned
    English
    moura said:
    The context: "a 1966 forecast envisioned robot tractors, indoor farms, irrigation with desalinized seawater, and synthetic meats" not very helpful I'm afraid...":(
    No, it is most helpful.
    The key word is "forecast".
    Scientists are always fond of prognosticating that their latest discoveries/developments are about to revolutionise the way we live. This sounds like someone's 1966 guess at what life might be like in the 21st century.
    Synthetic meats - yes, we have that, and it's not very popular.
    Robot tractors - we probably have uneconomic versions.
    Desalinized seawater - not quite yet.
    Indoor farms - no, livestock still are fed real (normally grown) grass and eat it in real fields. I presume the reference was to some way that desert countries could become self-sufficient in foodstuffs.

moura said:
    Sorry about my "agricultural ignorance" Maxiogee, but what's a mushroom farming?
    Mushrooms (funghi) are grown in long polythene tunnels here in Irleand, where temperature and humidity can be closely controlled. So are other crops.

moura

Portuguese Portugal
    La Reine Victoire
    Thank you for yr interes in my thread and replies.

Maxiogee
    Thank you too as well as for positive comments about present :)
    I will try anyway send an email to that site and see what they mean by "vertical farms".

To both, nice weekend

moura

Portuguese Portugal
    Thank LRV. I've just sent an email do them and hope to receive an answer too.
    kind regards :)

viera

English/French/Slovak
    Alas, the forecast of indoor farming has come true to a large extent concerning fruit and vegetables, especially tomatoes. They are increasingly grown only in greenhouses. In southern Spain there are acres and acres of greenhouses as far as the eye can see. Even in the middle of summer, it has become well nigh impossible to find tasty field-grown tomatoes.

< Previous | Next >