indoor premises

Kirja

Finnish
Hello!
So I was just wondering if there is a word in English for premises (for example in a restaurant) that are inside? For example if a restaurant has a beer garden, but also a dining room inside the building, how would you call the latter?

• Copyright

American English
    I suppose you could call it an "inside dining room," but I think we usually imagine things are inside unless otherwise stated. The Alpine Restaurant has a dining room and function room, plus an open-air/outside beer garden.

ewie

English English
    That's certainly the case in the UK too: The Excelsior Grill has seating for 209 people [indoors]. We also have an outside terrace where smokers are welcome to stand in the rain.

Kirja

Finnish
    Actually, in this case I should know how to point out that even though the restaurant I work in is practically just a beer garden, we also have a dining room indoors. I suppose the word "inside dining room" would work here. What do you think?

Copyright

American English
    If you're the Alpine Beer Garden and most of your patrons and service are outdoors, then, yes, you can say that you have an inside dining room, especially if no one has noticed it before. :)

< Previous | Next >