Indulgent Parents, and a "Fawny/Fawnish" Child??

< Previous | Next >

akimura

Japanese
Hi,

Let's say there isn't much of strictness going on between parents and their child. If the parents are to blame, you would probably say, the parents are indulgent. My question is, if it is the child that is to blame, what would be a good noun or adjective? I thought over the possibility of fawny or fawnish from the association of the verb fawn, but I'm totally unsure I could go with one or the other since they are nowhere in my dictionaries. If they are really not English words at all, I guess you are already laughing reading this...

Thank you in advance for you help!

• Copyright

American English
    I'm not laughing -- I'm knitting my brows wondering how the child could be to blame for a lack of strictness by the parents. So I'm at a loss to suggest any noun or adjective for the child.

akimura

Japanese
    I'm not laughing -- I'm knitting my brows wondering how the child could be to blame for a lack of strictness by the parents. So I'm at a loss to suggest any noun or adjective for the child.
    Oh, all right. Maybe to blame isn't the right word to describe the child's characteristics. Maybe there is some cultural difference. Let's forget about blaming, then how would you say in English such a child that is always saying to the parents, I want this and that, please do this and that for me, etc? I believe it's a universal thing...

Last edited:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I wonder what you intend 'fawn' to mean. We do say parents fawn over their child when they make too much fuss over the child and do not exert much discipline. We might say such a child was a "fawned-over" child. However, as Copyright says, we would not hold the child responsible for that.

We use spoiled to describe a child who is badly behaved because the parents are not strict enough. That word is critical of the child ~ you wouldn't want someone to call you 'spoiled' ~ but at the same time it blames the parents for the child's faults.

Loob

English UK
    Cagey's spoiled was what occurred to me, too (though, as a Brit, I would probably write it spoilt).

akimura

Japanese
    Thank you all for the help! A spoiled/spoilt child seems to be something I wanted this time. It's also a good starting point for me to look for its synonyms in my thesaurus (indulgent hasn't worked for me ...)

< Previous | Next >