infected with

charmingLibra

vietnamese
Before Alexander Fleming discover penicillin, many people died infected with simple bacteria.
Is this right ? anyone pleaze explain it to me :)

• charmingLibra

vietnamese
    In fact, it's a mutiple-choice question :
    "Before Alexander Fleming discover penicillin, many people die....
    A. infected with simple bacteria B. from simple bacterial infections "
    At first I chose B but my teacher said it was wrong and the answer must be A .

heypresto

English - England
    In fact, it's a mutiple-choice question :
    "Before Alexander Fleming discover penicillin, many people die....
    A. infected with simple bacteria B. from simple bacterial infections "
    At first I chose B but my teacher said it was wrong and the answer must be A .
    OK. To me, this looks like another badly written textbook question. (We see a lot of them here) Both answers seem fine to me.

(You should name the source of anything that you quote)

charmingLibra

vietnamese
    Sr.. It's exactly " discovered" . I made a mistake :)
    But I don't understand the meaning of " Before Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin, many people died infected with simple bacteria. " Why died infected with ???

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    died infected with = died [because they were] infected with.

Many people died. When they died, they were infected with simple bacteria.
    Many people died infected with simple bacteria.
    The underlying idea is that they died because of the simple bacteria, and diseases caused by simple bacteria are easy to cure -- if you have penicillin.

Does that help?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum. :)

In my opinion, (A) is wrong; we don't say that people "died infected", and I've never seen or heard bacteria described as "simple." It sounds like a sentence written by someone whose native language is not English.

(B) is the correct answer.

charmingLibra

vietnamese
    Many thanks , all you guys :"> My mother tongue is not English and honestly, I'm just a beginner . Hope for your help ^^

Myridon

English - US
    You're infected with simple bacteria right now. There are more bacteria in your body than human cells. Everyone who dies is infected with bacteria. A is factually wrong.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    I'm with Parla here. People died from simple bacterial infections is idiomatic.

People died infected with simple bacteria is strange because:

1. What are simple bacteria?
    2. The causal link isn't very clearly established by the adjectival infected with simple bacteria.
    3. It raises questions about which bacteria infect us, and which live peaceably in symbiosis with us.

Life can be hard for teachers, but I'd say this one got this wrong. Treat the issue tactfully, Charminglibra.

charmingLibra

vietnamese
    I'm with Parla here. People died from simple bacterial infections is idiomatic.

People died infected with simple bacteria is strange because:

1. What are simple bacteria?
    2. The causal link isn't very clearly established by the adjectival infected with simple bacteria.
    3. It raises questions about which bacteria infect us, and which live peaceably in symbiosis with us.

Life can be hard for teachers, but I'd say this one got this wrong. Treat the issue tactfully, Charminglibra.
    I see .Thank u Thomas

hopefultoo

English - UK
    Before Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin, many people died infected with simple bacteria. :tick:
    Before Alexander Fleming discovered penicillin, many people died from simple bacterial infections.:tick:

In my view the first sentence is unequivocally correct even though it may not be the most elegant sentence possible.

Consider:

Someone coughed in his face and he caught the flu.

What was he infected with? The flu. He was infected with the flu. (Infect collocates with with)
    Who/what was he infected by? Someone coughing in his face. He was infected by someone coughing in his face. (Infect also collocates with by although the use is different)

I can see no problem with the above example.

Simple bacteria - in past decades, before the general public were as well informed as we are now it was not uncommon to refer to micro-organisms in this way. It was thought that people would find it difficult to imagine how such a tiny organism could have such a devastating effect. I imagine the sentence is from an oldish text.

Collins Cobuild English Usage says when someone dies as a result of a disease or injury, you can say that they die of the disease or injury or die from it.

Usually the name of the disease is given:

He died of/from a heart attack.
    He died of/from lung cancer.

However, I can see no problem in this case.

I can't agree with Myridon's analysis from a medical point of view. It certainly has no bearing on the grammatical correctness of the sentence and, especially if the originating text is quite old, it is a simple explanation for the relatively uninformed.

< Previous | Next >