1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

inferior to

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by vgadher89, May 30, 2010.

1. vgadher89 New Member

English
    Hi,

I'm writing a essay about "die Veränderung der Geschlechterrollen" and would like to say how women are often portrayed in the bible as inferior to men.

Would I say: "die Bibel darstellt die Frauen oft wie minderwertig vor Männer"???

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

2. Cpt.Eureka Senior Member

Berlin
    German
    Hi,

my suggestion:
    "Die Bibel stellt Frauen im Vergleich zu Männern oft als minderwertig / unterlegen dar."

"unterlegen" has the connotation or subcontext of "physically weaker" and is not so strong as "minderwertig". This has an absolute negative connotation and means literally "low value".

3. vgadher89 New Member

English
    Thank you!

I think I will go with "minderweritg" in that case as it makes a more powerful statement.

Thanks again!

4. Cub Pilot

Cub Pilot Senior Member

...sind den Männern untergeordnet: In der Bibel sind die Frauen den Männern oft/meist untergeordnet.

I wouldn't say minderwertig.It depends on what you want to say.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  5. vacoda

vacoda Member

Berlin
    German
    I think "untergeordnet" is the best translation of "inferior" here since it transports the meaning of a lower social rank.
    "werden dargestellt"
    is a perfect translation of "are portrayed"

>>> In der Bibel werden Frauen häufig als den Männern untergeordnet dargestellt.

6. Cpt.Eureka Senior Member

Berlin
    German
    According to the Bible, women are "minderwertig" and therefore "untergeordnet". So you have a free choice here. ;)