infinità di malattie

< Previous | Next >

Little One

England. English
I am translating something for my homework, and have understood most of it, but cannot work out some of the meanings. I can get the individual words, but there make no sense when together.

Here are the sentences and my attempts at translating.

Appunto bisestili. :confused:
Ci fu chi vendette o regalo` i suoi beni appunto. - There were ? vendettas or he/it presented his goods ?
Cura un'infinita` di malattie. They care alot about sickness
ma l'essenziale non lo puo` offrire, non riesce a rispondere al bisogno della gente di sentirsi eterna. but it is essential not to be able to offer it, not to succeed in responding to the need of the people ?????

• Alfry

Italian
    cura un infinità di malattie: you can read it this way
    esso (questa medicina/soluzione/cura medica) cura (from the verb curare) un'infinità di malattie

it cures a lot of diseases

Little One

England. English
    Well, as required, here they are again with the rest of the sentences and other waffle.
    The bits I do not understand are in green.

Appunto bisestili. :confused: . How the characteristics of the years do not have positive or negative importance anymore. It's about the leap year.

Avvicinadosi l'anno Mille molti si attendevano la fine del giorno e i fu chi vendette o regalo` i suoi beni appunto. -

Questa societa`da' benessere, allunga la vita, spiega molte cose, cura un'infinita', ma l'essenziale non lo puo` offrire, non riesce a rispondere al bisogno della gente di sentirsi eterna.

Hope that helps.

Alfry

Italian
    Little One said:
    Well, as required, here they are again with the rest of the sentences and other waffle.
    The bits I do not understand are in green.

Appunto bisestili. :confused: . How the characteristics of the years do not have positive or negative importance anymore. It's about the leap year.

Avvicinadosi l'anno Mille molti si attendevano la fine del giorno e ci fu chi vendette o regalo` i suoi beni appunto. -

Questa societa`da' benessere, allunga la vita, spiega molte cose, cura un'infinita', ma l'essenziale non lo puo` offrire, non riesce a rispondere al bisogno della gente di sentirsi eterna.

Hope that helps.
    that "Appunto" put here and there is puzzling me...
    anyway un anno bisestile is a year whose February has 29 days instead of the usual 28 (1996, 2000, 2004, 2008...)

...ci fu chi vendette o regalo` i suoi beni... appunto (doesn't make any sense whatsoever)...
    ...there were those who sold their properties or made a present of them...

questa società....cura un'infinita' di malattie, ma l'essenziale non lo puo` offrire, non riesce a rispondere al bisogno della gente di sentirsi eterna.
    ...but it cannot offer what is essential, it cannot fit people's need to feel eternal.

Little One

England. English
    Alfry said:
    that "Appunto" put here and there is puzzling me...

...ci fu chi vendette o regalo` i suoi beni... appunto (doesn't make any sense whatsoever)...
    ...there were those who sold their properties or made a present of them...
    I figured that bisestile meant leap as in years, but I do not get "appunto" either, but I typed the sentences exactly as they are on this piece of paper in front of me. If the sentences make sense without "appunto" I'm leaving it out.

Alfry

Italian
    maybe that appunto means that the writer intended to emphasize the fact that he was taking a note.
    But I can't be sure

emma1968

ITALY-italian
    to better understand the use of "appunto " like in the Alfry 's sense
    here find another example
    tu sei indispensabile!!! appunto per questo devi rimanere
    Here "appunto" emphasize the required to remain

< Previous | Next >