Infinitive form

< Previous | Next >

Noel90

Spanish
Hello. I'm doing an exercise to practise infinitive forms and it's being quite hard for me.
The order says: "Write the appropriate form of the infinitive". The first sentence is given as an example:

1. I went - to have gone
2. she has been playing - to have been playing

Could you give me an explanation, please? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • The Newt

English - US
    The infinitive of "I went" is "to go," just as the infinitive of fui is ir. I don't quite understand what they want you to do.

martinica

español-México
    El infinitivo de "went" is "to go", de acuerdo, pero aquí parece que te piden que tomes en cuenta el tiempo verbal y puesto que "went" es pretérito, el infinitivo en pretérito sería el que se indica. Que le quites la forma de tercera persona y lo pongas en "infinitivo". No suena muy productivo o útil el ejercicio, pero aparentemente eso es lo que quieren.

Noel90

Spanish
    The infinitive of "I went" is "to go," just as the infinitive of fui is ir. I don't quite understand what they want you to do.
    Thank you for your answer.

El infinitivo de "went" is "to go", de acuerdo, pero aquí parece que te piden que tomes en cuenta el tiempo verbal y puesto que "went" es pretérito, el infinitivo en pretérito sería el que se indica. Que le quites la forma de tercera persona y lo pongas en "infinitivo". No suena muy productivo o útil el ejercicio, pero aparentemente eso es lo que quieren.
    Gracias por tu respuesta. La verdad es que hay otros ejercicios en el libro que tienen más sentido. Como completar frases como esta: "He claimed to have been watching TV at the time of the robbery" o algo así...

gengo

American English
    The order says: "Write the appropriate form of the infinitive". The first sentence is given as an example:

1. I went - to have gone
    2. she has been playing - to have been playing
    Your text seems to consider "to have gone" as some kind of infinitive form of the present perfect tense, but the example makes no sense, because the infinitive, by definition, has no tense or conjugation.

Japanese grammar terminology is much more logical than that of English or Spanish. It uses the word "jisho-kei" to refer to the infinitive, but literally just means "dictionary form," since the infinitive is the form of a verb you find listed in a dictionary. That is a lot more intuitive to me than "infinitive/infinitivo," which doesn't seem to have much to do with infinity.

Forero

Infinitives do not have person, tense, or mode, but they do have aspect:

to go - simple infinitive
    to have gone - perfect infinitive
    to be going - progressive infinitive
    to have been going - perfect progressive infinitive

< Previous | Next >