inflamation/infection

NickJunior

Khmer
I have a knife cut on my arm. The cut is now becoming worse. So do I say, I have an inflamation on my arm? or do I say I have an infection on my arm? Please tell me the correct term I should use.

• bibliolept

AE, Español
    I would say that the infection (by pathogens) is causing the inflammation of the tissue.

NickJunior, please make sure to consult a dictionary before starting a thread.

Trinibeens

NYC
    U.S. English
    I have a knife cut on my arm. The cut is now becoming worse. So do I say, I have an inflamation on my arm? or do I say I have an infection on my arm? Please tell me the correct term I should use.
    Infections are usually accompanied by inflamation. Inflamation is not always caused by infection, i.e. heat rash, allergic reaction, arthritis, etc.

In this context I would say, "I have a cut on my arm that's probably infected, because my arm is inflamed."
    :eek:

QsQ

Algeria (Arabic.)
    In the case you mentioned,, I think it's rather called an infection.. Inflammation is a step preceding the infection, when a part of the body becomes red and so on..

rodoke

en-US; .us
    In the first person, I think it would be better to say My arm (is/has become) (infected/inflamed) or more specifically The cut on my arm (is/has become) (infected/inflamed). Your original phrasing sounds fine in the second and third persons, though.
    • You have an (infection/inflamation) on your arm.
    • They've got an (infection/inflamation) on their arm.

< Previous | Next >